Skip to main content

No guarantee Broad will rejoin attack for second Test — Silverwood

COACH Chris Silverwood refused to give any guarantees yesterday that Stuart Broad will be recalled for England’s second Test against the West Indies.

Broad was dropped for the first Test of the series, which England lost by four wickets in Southampton on Sunday, and gave an interview during the match in which he said he was “frustrated, angry and gutted.”

The second Test starts in Manchester on Thursday and England could decide to shake up its pace attack to bring in Broad, who sits second on England’s all-time Test wickets list with 485.

But when asked whether he was in line to play, Silverwood said: “Nothing is a given in this team, as we have seen, and people will be playing for their spots. Everything will be considered.”

England’s pace in Southampton came from Mark Wood, Jofra Archer and Jimmy Anderson.

Wood only picked up two wickets across the two innings, likely leaving him at risk if Broad is selected.

Alternatively, England may choose to rest Anderson, who has had an injury-hit last year and might not be risked to play three back-to-back Test matches.

Captain Joe Root, who missed the opener following the birth of his second child, will now rejoin the squad in Manchester.

Ben Stokes said he will hand back the captaincy with pride, despite having come up short as the temporary skipper.

“It didn’t change me as player whatsoever, with the bat in my hand or when I had the ball in my hand. I’ll be able to look back on this disappointed not to win but able to say that I’ve captained England,” he said yesterday.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 7,566
We need:£ 9,434
23 Days remaining
Donate today